Style


Style is like an opinion. Everyone's entitled to one, but not every one can be right.


Style is all about taste. Like food, everyone will like different things, and also like food, my seeing you in something questionable will probably give me an allergic reaction to your horrible taste. But seriously, some people can put an outfit together like no other. These people are usually stylists for fashion magazines and clothing stores, fashion models, or Angel from Rent. 

People you wish you were, because they have the innate ability to look good in whatever the hell they can squeeze onto their bodies. No, your Instagram thread does not make you a fashion model.

Now, let's get this out of the way: in no way am I saying that I have a good sense of style in terms of fashion. In fact, I probably have some very questionable taste when it comes to my outfits, as my favourite patterns are leopard and cheetah print. No, these are not the same thing, and if you need someone to describe to you the difference, come find me at the bar. I drink gin and gingers, just FYI. I spent an entire university semester studying these pussies, so I am oddly qualified to recognize the difference.



I am in love with patterns that are so gaudy they're fabulous. So excessive they just work. They seems appropriate to me, because drag is supposed to be "everything" (make sure you say it correctly: eeeeverything, like it's drawn out). That's why drag queens wear more jewels than you'll find in the Tower of London, higher heels than Elton John (although there's someone who was born to be a drag queen if I've ever seen one), and bigger hair than twisted sister. Drag queens are NOT to be outdone.

That's why, in the picture above, my heels are six inches, my jewels reach my nipples, my bodysuit is leopard print, my leg is above my head, and my mouth is ready to accept donations. A lot is going on, but that's the way I want it! Same with the makeup. Drag queens are not (traditionally) women. Drag queens are caricatures of women. Sure, some women might dress like this, and paint like this, and strut around yelling obscenities at young men to get their briefest attention, but they are not the norm, just the ones I want to get to know better.

Anyways, let's hop back onto the original train of thought. Style is subjective, but style is varied, situational, expressive, and most importantly, individual. So, rather than discussing GOOD style (because who am I to describe that), let's discuss discovering your style.

As I said above, my style is gaudy, but my style could also be described as slutty or glamorous or lazy, depending on the day, and the numbers I'm performing. WHY???? Because that is who I am, or at least who I want to be when I am out and about as Rowena. Rowena appears as a classy, together lady, but she is also a feral whore of a woman who will do anything to get in your pants. By recognizing these things about herself, she is able to express them through her style. One day she'll be on stage with poise, emotion and beauty, and the next she's shoving a cake down her throat, barely clothed, and definitely acting more desperate than usual.

How do you portray yourself? That's where style starts, and ends. This is especially true when you're on stage. You want your audience to understand your character. Style starts at your song choice, whether it's lyrical, comedy, spoken word, whatever, and ends when you walk off stage. Every moment in between is an opportunity for your style to come through. Your style highlights your performance, and your performance highlights your style. It's a self-flagellating cycle. 

For example, here are three style scenarios for a performance of a tragic, emotional song about an ex-lover. Imagine the emotional interpretation each would give your tragic song. The story it would tell:

  1. 1. If you walk out in a full length gown, jewelled to the nines, and full of poise and grace, people will interpret your song differently, than if you...

  2. 2. walk out on stage in a bra, panties, and nightgown, or... 

  3. 3. in a dress that has strategic rips and tears, smudged makeup, and a wig in disarray. 
There are so many opportunities to express what YOU feel about your performance through your style. It's not about the fashion itself, if it's good or bad, it's about creating a seamless, enduring idea in the heads of your audience. When your style choices don't line up to each other, the audience can tell, the number doesn't make sense, and your performance suffers. 

Think about the story you want to tell. When I walk out on stage in a leopard print bodysuit, belting about being a whole lotta woman, my concept of being a strong, confident, probably older lady who doesn't give a damn about no man, is probably going to come across to the audience. Whereas if I did the same in full glamour, the concept wouldn't be there.

Think about style as creating an image, a concept, an emotion, rather than a piece of clothing, a silhouette, or a face of makeup. This will allow you to adapt your image to the performance you are giving. Your shows will be better for it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step #13: Tucking

Step #6: The clothes & the body

Hip Pads