Coming Out... As A Drag Queen

Every member of the LGBT community is alike in one way, and different from the heterosexual community in one way. We never stop coming out of the closet. From our first time, when we grieve over the emotional catastrophe that could be our coming out to our family and friends, to the umpteenth time on the street with a random passerby, we are constantly having to justify our sexuality and ourselves to others. It's not right, but it's our current reality.

In a similar way, I've discovered that I constantly have to "come out" as a drag queen. It's not as emotionally traumatic as my first time coming out, but it's as irritating as each minor coming out experience.

It's not enough for people for me to simply say that I'm a performer. I've been a performer since I was in elementary school. Plays, musicals, concerts, you name it. But when you say you're a performer, the follow up questions always lead to the inevitable, what kind of performing do you do?

Don't misunderstand. I don't shy away from telling people I'm a drag performer. I'm very proud to be a member of this gender-bending group of entertainers, but having to explain to people the type of performance I do on the regular is a pain in my puss.

Like coming out, you get a whole range of responses, from love and acceptance to ignorance and hate. Cherish the ones who accept you, and expunge the others from your life. Then, given the opportunity to educate, educate those who need it. Help people understand what you do, and make it easier for other queens in the future!

To other Queens who experience these same struggles, I have good news. It gets easier. Every time, it gets easier. Not everyone will accept it, or react well, or even respect your decisions, but eventually you stop caring what other people think, and that's a good thing. Other people shouldn't control your life or your decisions. That's up to you.

Take PRIDE in who you are, and share your pride with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step #13: Tucking

Step #6: The clothes & the body

Hip Pads