OUTreach Drag Show

Two weeks, two performances. To see my first ever drag performance check out my previous post HERE.   While that will always be an important moment for me, my second performance sits very close to my heart as well.
<3
OUTreach at the University of Alberta is a student organization in Edmonton providing LGBTQ+ resources, events, socials, and community on campus (check them out, they're amazing!). Every year (for the past 14 years) they put on an amazing drag show to showcase not only local talent, but also amateurs wanting to put on their first performances.
But why is this so important to me??? Why because OUTreach gave me my FIRST EVER drag show back in 2015, and that was where I first realized I wanted to do drag. Oddly enough, it was also my first time seeing a future boyfriend in drag, and his was one of my favourites of the night. It did help though that he performed the incomparable Christina Aguilera, as even if the performance had sucked I would still have enjoyed from the vocals :P
Anyhow, I am so excited to announce that life has come full circle, and I got to perform on stage at the same amazing event (link below):


I wanted to try my hand at something a little different. Still a lip sync, but some spoken word, as well as more of a comedic number instead of the "traditional" strut around and belt it out you see most queens performing. I think it went pretty well if I do say so myself. Thanks Clever Pie for writing this awesome read of internet haters! I love it!
But about this event...did you know it was a competition? Because I sure as hell didn't when I signed up to perform. I thought I was just signing up to put on a show (which I did), not to compete for a prize (which I did not win). I had already submitted my music before I found out about the competition aspect, so I stuck with my comedic guns and went for it. The winner Pariah put on a good choreographed number I enjoyed, but I can't help but think that if I had done a traditional dance and sing number I might have won. Oh well, we'll never know!

And of course, I send out a huge congratulations to all of the amateur performers for putting themselves out on stage, especially those who were in their drag debuts! It is not an easy thing to do, performing in front of 250 people, but you all did it. Werq queens, I hope to see you all again soon!!  I'm only partially sorry for all the shade I threw. Hope it made you better :p  Readers, check out Dragging Our Heels on Youtube for all the performances from the show!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step #13: Tucking

Step #6: The clothes & the body

Coming Out... As A Drag Queen